Saturday, March 14, 2009

Promises

When I was younger I would listen my mom make promises I think I knew as a child she could not keep. I knew she loved me and I knew she meant well when she said she would get me the bike I knew she could not afford. You see my mother did not raise me. She was not a well woman and was not able to take care of me but she wanted me to love her so she would often tell me she would do certain things I knew she was unable to do just because she wanted me to love her. Do you understand that? I don't think she knew how much it hurt me when I did not get that bike or that camera or the huge doll she wanted so desperately to give me.

I learned something from that. I learned never to make a promise I cannot keep. I never did it with my husband or my kids. Even now if I tell someone I am going to be somewhere at a certain time, I am there or I have a good reason for not being there like an illness or such. If say I am going to call someone at noon, I call them. I am a firm believer in keeping my word. Before making a promise, ask yourself if you can keep it. If you can't don't make it.

Proverbs 20:7 tells us that a righteous woman walks in her integrity.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of your quilts are absolutely beautiful. I just found this site of yours and I love it. I love how you keep your word, that tells me you are honest, caring and dependable. Your family and friends are very blessed to have you in their lives. We need more integrity in this world.....so many promises made and so few kept....I am so glad to meet you through blogging :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete